ZONING ORDINANCE - 3.0 ZONING DISTRICTS
3.0 - PURPOSE
The intent of this Section is to create a series of zones of such number and character as are necessary to achieve compatibility of uses within each zone, to implement the Comprehensive Plan, and to complement the Official Zoning Map of the Village of Gurnee.
For the purposes of the Zoning Ordinance, all land and water areas in the Municipality are hereby divided into the following zones:
- R-1 - Single-Family Residence District
- R-2 - Single-Family Residence District
- R-3 - Single-Family Residence District
- R-4 - Two-Family Residence District
- R-5 - Limited Multi-Family Residence District
- R-6 - Multi-Family Residence District
- C/B-1 - Neighborhood Business District
- C/B-2 - Community Business District
- C/O-1 - Restricted Office District
- C/O-2 - Office and Research District
- C/S-1 - Outdoor Recreation District
- C/S-2 - Automobile Supported Business District
- C/S-3 - Central Business District
- I-1 - Restricted Industrial District
- I-2 - General Industrial District
- I-3 - Intensive Industrial District
- P - Public Land District
3.1 - ZONING MAPS
3.1.1 - AUTHORIZATION
The location and boundaries of the districts established by this Ordinance are indicated upon the map entitled, "Official Zoning Map, Gurnee, Illinois," which, together with all explanatory matter thereon, is hereby adopted by reference and declared to be a part of this Ordinance. Said Zoning Map, together with everything shown thereon and all amendments thereto, shall be as such a part of this Ordinance as if fully set forth and described verbally therein.
3.1.2 - LOCATION OF MAPS
The Official Zoning Map shall be located in the Office of the Zoning Administrator and shall be the final authority as to the current zoning status of land and buildings, subject to such authorized amendments which may be in effect.
3.1.3 - INTERPRETATION OF BOUNDARIES
Where uncertainty exists as to the boundaries of districts as shown on the Official Zoning Map, the following rules shall apply:
1. - Boundaries are the center lines of highways, toll roads, expressways, streets, or alleys, unless otherwise indicated.
2. - Boundaries are section lines, division of sections, tracts and platted lot lines, unless otherwise indicated.
3. - In areas not subdivided into lots and blocks, wherever a district is indicated, as a strip adjacent to and paralleling a street or highway, the depth of such strips shall be in accordance with dimensions shown on the maps, measured at right angles from the center line of the street or highway, and the length of frontage shall be in accordance with dimensions shown on the map from section, quarter section, or division lines, or center lines of streets and highways, or railroad rights-of-way, unless otherwise indicated.
4. - Boundaries indicated as approximately following municipal boundary limits shall be construed to follow municipal boundary limits.
5. - Boundaries indicated as following railroad lines shall be construed to be midway between the main tracks.
6. - Boundaries indicated as following shore lines shall be construed to follow such shore lines, and in the event of change in the shore line, shall be construed as moving with the actual shore line; boundaries indicated as approximately following the center lines of streams, rivers, canals, lakes or other bodies of water, shall be construed to follow such center lines.
7. - Boundaries indicated as parallel to or extensions of features indicated in Subsections 1 through 6 above, shall be so construed. Distance not specifically indicated on the Official Zoning Map shall be determined by dimensions shown on the maps, or in the absence of dimensions, by the scale of the maps.
8. - Where a zoning district boundary line divides a lot in single ownership at the effective date of this Ordinance, the regulations of this Ordinance for either portion of such lot may, at the owner's discretion, apply to the entire area of the lot or twenty-five (25) feet beyond the zoning district boundary line, whichever is the lesser distance.
9. - All streets, alleys, public ways, and railroad rights-of-way, if not otherwise specifically designated, shall be deemed to be in the same zone as the property immediately abutting upon such alleys, streets, public ways and railroad rights-of-way. If the land abutting each side of the street, alley, public way or railroad right-of-way is located in different districts, the center of such street, alley, public way or railroad right-of-way shall be deemed to be the district boundary, unless otherwise specifically designated.
10. - Streets or alleys which are shown on the zoning map and which have heretofore been vacated, or which may be vacated hereafter, shall be in the same district as the land abutting both sides of the street or alley involved. If the land abutting each side of the street or alley was located in different districts before the said street or alley was vacated, the center line of such vacated street or alley shall be the district boundary line of the respective zoning district.
11. - Where physical or cultural features existing on the ground are at variance with those shown on the Official Zoning Map, or in other circumstances not covered by Subsections 1 through 10 above, the Zoning Board of Appeals shall interpret the district boundaries.
3.1.4 - CHANGES
If, by amendment to this Ordinance, any change is made in any district boundary or in any other matter shown on an Official Zoning Map, such change shall be indicated on the map promptly after the amendment is adopted. The date of the latest updating of the Official Zoning Map shall be shown on the face of the map.
3.1.5 - AVAILABILITY
Zoning Maps, certified as showing the districts created, approved, and as amended, shall be available for public reference and/or sale in the Office of the Zoning Administrator.
3.2 - ENTIRE AREA ZONED
It is the intent that the entire area of zoning jurisdiction, including all land and water areas, rivers, streets, alleys, and railroad and other rights-of-way, be included in the districts established by this Ordinance. If any area is not shown on the Official Zoning Map as being included in any district or covered by Subsections 1 through 10 on the previous pages, it shall be deemed to be in the R-1 Single-Family Residence District.
Any annexations to the incorporated area of Gurnee shall be automatically classified in the R-1 Single-Family Residence District until otherwise reclassified by amendment.