Management Analyst - Fire Department
General Position Responsibilities
Under direction of the Fire Chief, the Management Analyst will be responsible for assisting in the administration, coordination, and implementation of various governmental functions and special programs. Work requires a high degree of public interaction and includes communicating to the Village Board, Village Departments, media outlets, Village residents and the general public.
Employment Application (attached), including cover letter and resume must be received at the Gurnee Village Hall no later than 3:00 p.m., Wednesday, February 7, 2018.
Examples of Job Tasks Performed
- Assists the Chief with interpreting and analyzing policies and plans; developing, analyzing, and administering the Department’s budget.
- Conducts detailed research on industry best practices and identifies and recommends areas for improvement.
- Assists in the preparation, coordination, review and presentation of the Department annual operating and capital improvement budgets; monitors accounts and financial reports; and performs analysis of departmental expenditures and revenues for potential improvements in business practices.
- Oversees special projects and grants, departmental public communications, and reporting functions.
- Oversees departmental records management processes.
- Serve as Department liaison to internal and external organizations as appropriate; and performs other related activities in support of the Fire Chief and department operations.
The Management Analyst can expect to work closely with the Fire Chief and other Village Departments immediately on the following projects:
- New Department Scheduling and Payroll System: The Village and Department are currently in the process of implementing the Advanced Scheduling module of Executime to integrate with the new payroll software Munis. Ongoing assistance with the implementation will be required.
- Electronic Patient Reporting: The Department continues to work towards a paperless environment for patient medical records. The Management Analyst will have a key role in working with the Department’s third party billing company to pair electronic submittal of patient reporting for billing purposes.
- Social Media Plan: This project will involve working with the Assistant to the Village Administrator and other key personnel to develop a Fire Department social media plan in conjunction with the Village’s other existing programs.
- Future opportunities looking forward one (1) to three (3) years include: review and update of the department budgeting programs; acting as liaison between Village Departments to coordinate the preparation and building of a potential third fire station; and update of the department’s Hazardous Materials Tier II reporting program.
General Minimum Requirements
Completion of a Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university in Public Administration, or related curriculum. Completion of or work towards a Master’ degree (MBA or MPA) desirable.
One (1) to three (3) year’s comparable municipal government experience; equivalent internship experience is acceptable. A working knowledge of local government structure and services or previous experience in the fire service desirable. Knowledge of Munis Software and/or Executime desirable.
Strong knowledge of and understanding of municipal finance and budgeting practices.
Must be able to attend meetings and special functions outside normal business hours as requested or required.