The Village works with Waste Management (WM) for refuse collection service using an automated collection system. Garbage and recycling are picked up on an assigned day, once a week between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Special containers are provided that allow for efficient collection using automated trucks. These trucks allow drivers to remain in the vehicle, saving both time and money.
The standard 96 gallon refuse containers, or toters, are generally large enough for most homes; however, residents may choose to use a smaller 35 gallon or 64 gallon toter instead.
In order to increase recycling, Waste Management offers a 96 gallon recycling toter at no additional charge. If you currently have a 64 gallon recycling container but would like more room, please call Waste Management at (800) 796-9696 for the free upgrade.
Waste Management's current rates are:
- 35 gallon refuse toter………………..$35.60 every four months
- 64 gallon refuse toter………………..$48.96 every four months
- 96 gallon refuse toter………………..$57.52 every four months
- 64 or 96 gallon recycling toter………$18.20 every four months
- Yard Waste Sticker………………….$2.20 per sticker
- Yard Waste Subscription…………...$84.41 per seasonUnder the waste hauling contract, Waste Management is allowed to adjust rates yearly based on the February Chicago-Gary-Kenosha Consumer Price Index for all Urban Consumers; however the rate adjustment will be no less than 1% and no more than 3%. Residents should also be aware that Gurnee, unlike other communities, is exempt from the Waste Management fuel/environmental surcharge. With the price of fuel on the rise, it is estimated that this provision saves Gurnee residents an additional 2–4% compared to those communities that are not exempt from this charge. Despite the annual rate increase, Gurnee residents enjoy some of the most favorable pricing in Lake County based on current service levels.Refuse Collection Schedule
Garbage and recycling will be picked up on an assigned day, once a week between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Waste Management uses the following schedule: Click here to view the map that displays each area's collection days . Please check to see the day for your collection. If you are unsure of your pickup day, please contact Waste Management at (800) 796-9696.
In the event of a weekday holiday, pickups for that week may be delayed by up to a day.
With the automated collection system, the driver does not leave the vehicle. Residents who do not take part in the curbside garbage and recycling program cannot leave extra refuse alongside the container; instead, items must be broken down to fit inside the toter. Residents who do participate in the program may leave one bulk item (or an extra bag of refuse) next to their container. See the Bulk Item Collection section for more information.
Please do not pack garbage so tightly into the container that it will not empty.
Bulk Item Collection and Construction Debris Collection
Residents who participate in the curbside garbage and recycling program are allowed to place one bulk item at the curb with their garbage once a week on their regular collection day. A bulk item is considered a piece of furniture, a mattress, one 4 ft. by 2 ft. roll of carpeting or an extra bag of refuse. In general, any non-attached item (an item you would take if you moved) can be picked up in bulk collection. Items such as water heaters or cabinets are considered attached items and cannot be picked up in bulk collection. If you are unsure about an item, please call Waste Management 24 hours prior to your pickup.
Construction debris from remodeling projects (paneling, drywall, toilets, sinks, counter tops, etc.) will not be picked up as household refuse. A special pickup needs to be arranged 24 hours prior to your regular collection day. A per cubic yard fee will be assessed, and fees may vary if materials are heavy. Please contact Waste Management at (800) 796-9696 for pricing.
Waste Management does not collect "white goods" (stoves, washing machines, refrigerators, etc.). Instead, they will refer residents to a third-party contractor to collect appliances and other items that may be considered white goods.
- Village of Gurnee Solid Waste & Recycling Collection Guide  (PDF, 8 pages, 4.09MB)
- Recycle First, Trash Last Flyer  (English) (PDF, 1 page, 1.49MB)
- Recycle First, Trash Last Flyer  (Spanish) (PDF, 1 page, 933KB)