The VIllage contracts with Waste Management for refuse collection service using an automated collection system. Special containers allow for efficient collection using automated trucks. Trash is picked up on an assigned day, once a week between the hours of 6 am and 5 pm.
- Village of Gurnee Solid Waste & Recycling Collection Guide  (PDF, 8 pages, 4.09MB)
- Recycle First, Trash Last Flyer  (English) (PDF, 1 page, 1.49MB)
- Recycle First, Trash Last Flyer  (Spanish) (PDF, 1 page, 933KB)
The refuse collection service uses an automated collection system. Special containers are provided which allow for efficient collection using automated trucks. These trucks allow drivers to remain in the vehicle, saving both time and money.
The standard 96 gallon brown containers are sufficient for most homes. Residents may elect to use a smaller 64 gallon or 35 gallon cart instead of the usual 96 gallon container.
In an effort to increase recycling, Waste Management offers a 96 Gallon Recycling Toter at no additional charge. If you currently have a 64 gallon recycling cart but would like more room to recycle, please call Waste Management at 847-395-2020 for the free upgrade.
Waste Management's current rates are:
- 35 gallon refuse toter………………..$35.60 every four months
- 64 gallon refuse toter………………..$48.96 every four months
- 96 gallon refuse toter………………..$57.52 every four months
- 64 or 96 gallon recycling toter………$18.20 every four months
- Yard Waste Sticker………………….$2.20 per sticker
- Seasonal Yard Waste………………..$84.41 per seasonTaxes and fees will be additional to the above rates.Under the waste hauling contract, Waste Management is allowed to adjust rates on an annual basis based on the February Chicago-Gary-Kenosha Consumer Price Index for all Urban Consumers; however the rate adjustment will be no less than 3% and no more than 5%. Residents should also be aware that Gurnee, unlike other communities, is exempt from the Waste Management fuel/environmental surcharge. With the price of fuel on the rise, it is estimated that this provision saves Gurnee residents an additional 2 – 4% compared to those communities that are not exempt from this charge. Despite the annual rate increase, Gurnee residents enjoy some of the most favorable pricing in Lake County based on current service levels.Refuse Collection Schedule
Trash will be picked up on an assigned day, once a week between the hours of 6 am and 5 pm. Waste Management uses the following schedule for collecting both recyclable materials and garbage. Click here to view the map that displays each area's collection days . Please check to see the day for your collection. If you are unsure of your pickup day, please contact Waste Management at (847) 395-2020.
In the event of a weekday holiday, pick-ups for that week may be delayed by up to a day.
Do not leave extra refuse alongside the container; instead, break down items to fit inside the cart. With the automated collection system the driver does not leave the vehicle.
Please do not pack trash so tightly into your container that it will not empty.
Bulk Item Collection / Construction Debris Collection
Residents who participate in the curbside garbage and recycling program are allowed to place one bulk item at the curb with their garbage every week on their regular collection day. A bulk item is considered a piece of furniture, mattress, (1) 4 ft. by 2 ft. roll of carpeting. In general, any non-attached item (such as an item you would take if you moved) can be picked up in bulk collection. For example, a water heater or cabinets are not bulk items because they are attached items. If you are unsure about an item, please call Waste Management 24 hours prior to your pick-up.
Construction debris from remodeling projects such as paneling, drywall, toilets, sinks, counter tops, etc. will not be picked up as household trash. A special pick-up needs to be arranged 24 hours prior to your regular service day. A per cubic yard fee will be assessed; please contact Waste Management at (847) 395-2020 for pricing. (Fees may vary if materials are heavy.)
Waste Management does not collect "white goods" (stoves, washing machines, refrigerators, etc.). Waste Management will refer residents to the third-party contractor to collect appliances and other items affected by the legislation regarding white goods.
|Village of Gurnee Solid Waste & Recycling Collection Guide (.pdf) ||1.96 MB|