The Gurnee Fire Department would like to increase public awareness of arson. The following are a few facts about arson.
- Arson is the second leading cause of death by fire in the United States--topped only by smoking--and the main cause of property damage due to fires.
- Arsonists kill more than 700 people a year and inflict direct property damage totaling more than 2 billion dollars.
- One of every four fires that occurs in the United States each year is arson related.
- Arsonists often escape punishment. Only 16% of arson offenses lead to arrest, and only 2% are convicted.
- Arson is the leading cause of death for pre-schoolers, accounting for 85 of every 100 deaths.
- There appears to be a growing link between arson and illegal drug activity. Early reports of a study by the National Fire Protection Association indicates that one-fifth to one-fourth of reported arson cases in major cities are drug related.
Source: International Association of Arson Investigators
National Fire Protection Association
FBI Uniform Crime Report