Family Protection Program: Lightning Hazards
- When thunderstorms threaten, get inside a building.
- Avoid using the telephone except in emergencies.
- If no structure is available, do not stand under a natural lightning rod such as a tall, isolated tree in an open field.
- Do not touch water.
- If you are caught in an open field and feel your hair stand on end (a signal that lightning is about to strike), drop to your knees and bend forward, putting your hands on your knees. Do not lie flat.
- Stay away from wire fences, golf clubs, bicycles, motorcycles, scooters, golf cars, metal farm equipment, metal pipes, and other metallic paths.
- In the forest, seek shelter in a low area under a thick growth of trees.
- In an open area, seek low places.