Develop an escape plan for your home:
- Draw the location of doors, windows, stairways, and large furniture.
- Draw a broken line charting at least two escape routes from each room.
Remember, if there's a fire:
- Do not open a hot door; try your second escape route.
- Smoke rises; crawl close to the floor and out of the house.
- Call the Fire Department from another location.
Home Testing and Planning:
- Quiz family members every six months on disaster and evacuation procedures.
- Test all smoke detectors each month and change the batteries yearly.
- Test and recharge fire extinguishers according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Replace your smoke detectors every 10 years as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Conduct fire and tornado drills.