Gurnee, IL— The Gurnee Police Department conducted a holiday special traffic enforcement campaign that began on December 19, 2011 and ran through January 1, 2012. The program focused on increased impaired driver and safety restraint enforcement activities throughout the village.
This was the second and third of 15 scheduled campaigns that will be conducted during the 2011-2012 Strategic Traffic Enforcement Plan (STEP) grant year.
Funded by a grant from the Illinois Department of Transportation and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, these enforcement actions were conducted in order to remove drunk and drugged drivers from the roadways and increase safety restraint compliance.
These sixteen deployments (each done in 4+ hour increments) were in addition to officers conducting their regular patrol duties. The results of these enforcement operations are as follows:
- Total number of extra hours worked: 70.5
- Number of officers involved: 9 (average of 7.8 hours per officer)
- Numbers of special details conducted: 16 (an average of 4.4 hours per detail)
- Number of drug/alcohol-related arrests: 6
- Number of open transportation of alcohol: 2
- Number of safety restraint violations: 18
- Number of speeding citations: 18
- Number of vehicles stopped: 51
- Total number of citations written: 70
Cmdr. Jay J. Patrick