On Monday, May 6th, the Village negotiated and entered into a contract with FirstEnergy Solutions to again be the electrical supplier for the Village's electrical aggregation program. FirstEnergy will provide electricity to all participating households and businesses at a rate of 5.12 cents per kilowatt hour for a year-long period beginning at the conclusion of the Village's current contract in July. This rate is 15% lower than ComEd's projected rate (6.02 cents per kilowatt hour) and will save the average household roughly $100 per year. All eligible residents and small businesses are automatically included in this contract unless they choose to "opt-out." Below are some frequently asked questions about the program:
1. How do I participate in this program?
Any resident or small business that lives or is located in the Village that meets the following conditions is automatically included in the program:
- The customer must not have opted-out of aggregation.
- The customer must not have a pre-existing contract with another electrical supplier (besides ComEd).
- If the customer is a small business, it must not consume more than 15,000 kilowatt hours per year (a business the size of a dry cleaner or smaller most likely qualifies).
Certain customers will be offered the opportunity to participate but will not be automatically opted-in, including customers who have special rates such as basic electric service hourly pricing or retail delivery pricing. Customers with another supplier will also receive a notice about the program but will not be automatically opted-in.
2. What are the next steps in the process?
On Tuesday, May 21st, the Village and FirstEnergy mailed a notice to all eligible customers to notify them of the offer, the terms of the agreement and instructions for how to proceed based on whether or not they want to participate. Customers will have the following options upon receiving this notice:
- Customers who would like to participate in the program: If you received this notice and would like to participate in the program, you do not need to take any action. You will be automatically included following the closure of the “opt-out” period. Please note that any resident who did not participate during the first year of this program will also receive a second notice from ComEd simply informing you that they will be switched over to FirstEnergy before they are actually changed.
- Customers who do not want to participate in the program: If you receive this notice and do not want to participate, you have the opportunity to opt-out of the program at any time prior to Tuesday, June 4th. Instructions for doing so are included in the notice.
If you did not receive a notice and live in the Village, please contact Village Hall at (847) 599-7500.
3. I have a contractor with a different supplier. How can I join the Village's program?
You can join the Village's program simply by contacting FirstEnergy at (1-866) 636-3749 and opting-in. Please be sure to check your contract with your current supplier to see if there are any penalties for early termination before opting-in.
4. Is FirstEnergy's rate guaranteed?
Yes. The price of 5.12 cents per kilowatt hour is fixed for the duration of the contract. If, for any reason, ComEd's rate should drop below this rate, FirstEnergy has agreed to either match that rate or switch all customers back to ComEd.
6. Is any portion of this electricity renewable?
No. However, individual customers will be offered the opportunity to purchase electricity from renewable sources as part of this contract. The cost for 100% renewable energy will be 5.2 cents per kilowatt hour. Instructions on how to join this program will be included in the opt-out notices.
7. Will this change my relationship with ComEd?
No. ComEd will continue to own and operate the electrical grid, which means that they will still be responsible for billing you (on FirstEnergy’s behalf) and for conducting any necessary repairs.
For any questions, please contact Village Hall at (847) 599-7500.