911 Emergency Communications Operator - Full Time (November 2023)
Click Here to Apply - applications accepted on a continuous basis
Click Here to register for required examinations
When registering, click on Find Jobs -> Emergency Communications Jobs -> Illinois -> Gurnee Police Department.
Qualifications include but are not limited to:
- Completion of required employment application
- Successful completion of required testing [ECOMM National Exam (must attain minimum passing score for each section to pass), Typing Test, and ECOMM National Computer Simulations exam]
- Ability to accurately type at least 25+ wpm
- Helpful but not required - recent experience in police and/or Fire/EMS emergency dispatch; security / security dispatch; emergency medical; military dispatch; or closely related field
- Helpful but not required - education, certification, or completion of a college level training program in emergency dispatch, criminal justice or related field
- Emergency Medical Dispatch (EMD) certification (desirable but not required)
- Bilingual skills (desirable but not required)
Key qualities for joining our team:
- a service orientation and desire to treat the public with tact, courtesy, and respect
- ability to learn quickly and a desire to be challenged
- remain calm under conditions that are stressful
- ability to thrive in a work environment that rapidly changes in the tempo of work activity
- ability to use sound judgment and act rapidly and decisively in emergency situations
- communicate effectively orally and in writing
What you can expect:
- starting pay: $31.45 / hour ($65,414/annual); experienced 911 dispatch candidates rate DOQ/E
- answering 911 calls for assistance – police, fire, emergency medical/rescue
- working with first responders in the field to transmit vital information
- using Emergency Medical Dispatch protocol to provide assistance
- using computer aided dispatch to log calls and information
- work in a fast paced, multi-task oriented role
- 12 hour shifts
- benefits - paid time off - vacation, holiday, personal time; paid sick leave and sick leave incentive programs; health / dental / vision / life insurance plans; retirement savings options
The Gurnee, IL Police Communications Center provides 24 hour emergency and non-emergency communications support as a consolidated communication center for multiple agencies including: Gurnee Police; Gurnee Fire; Zion Police; Zion Fire; Newport Fire Protection District; and Beach Park Fire Department. The Gurnee Police Communications Center responds to over 145,000 emergency and non-emergency telephone calls per year and dispatches over 100,000 police calls and 14,000 Fire/EMS calls annually.
If selected for the position, post-offer contingencies include a background check, medical examinations and drug screen. Testing and Application period will remain open until vacancy is filled. Position may close without further notice.
Cost of examination(s) are the responsibility of the candidate; no refunds. Candidates may take the test virtually or in-person at an NTN testing center. For assistance with virtual examinations, click here for more details. For other problems or questions, email NTN Customer Support: email@example.com.