Asst. Director of Public Works / Village Engineer
VILLAGE OF GURNEE, ILLINOIS
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC WORKS/VILLAGE ENGINEER
Gurnee, IL (31,207) Home to Gurnee Mills Shopping Center (220 stores), Great Wolf Lodge Indoor Waterpark Resort, and Six Flags Great America, Gurnee is a wholesome, family-oriented community located in growing Lake County, Illinois. The Village is seeking highly professional, self-motivated candidates interested in serving in the newly created position of Assistant Director of Public Works/Village Engineer. Gurnee has 26 million visitors annually and is located along I-94 (Tri-State Tollway). The infrastructure network is extensive with 243 centerline miles of village streets; 300 cul-de-sacs; 146 miles of sidewalk; 182 miles of water main; and 84 miles of sewer main. In addition to a vibrant commercial sector, the community has beautiful neighborhoods and excellent schools all within 13.5 square miles. The Public Works Department has three divisions: Utilities (water distribution and sanitary sewer conveyance systems), Streets and Vehicle Maintenance. North Shore Water Reclamation District (NSWRD) provides the Village’s sanitary treatment and Central Lake County Joint Action Water Agency (CLCJAWA) is the water supplier. The newly created position of Assistant Director of Public Works/Village Engineer will continue to direct, coordinate and supervise the Engineering Division activities focused on the preparation, review and approval of construction plans as well as oversight of outside engineering consultants. As Village Engineer, this position will also manage the capital planning budget in collaboration with the Finance division and work extensively with CLCJAWA and NSWRD. The engineering division, which is overseen by the Community Development Director, has five employees. The Engineering division has a budget of $1 million with a capital improvement budget in excess of $11 million, which is funded by a dedicated revenue source. Additionally, the position will assist the Public Works Director in the administrative aspects of the daily operations of the Department. This position will also assist in developing a long range, strategic plan for the Public Works department in partnership with the Director. The Public Works Department budget is approximately $15 million. In addition to the Director, the Public Works Department has thirty full time, one part time, and six seasonal employees.
Starting salary range is $102,000 to $118,000 annually, depending on qualifications and experience. Apply with résumé, cover letter, and contact information for 5 professional references by November 2, 2018 to Kathleen Rush, KRush@GovHRUSA.com, TEL: 847/380-3240. Click here to apply online.
Qualified individuals will be expected to have:
- A minimum of five years’ Engineering / Public Works experience in a municipality including 5 years of supervisory experience in a community of comparable complexity.
- A Professional Engineer license in the State of Illinois or ability to obtain an Illinois license.
- A bachelor’s degree in civil engineering; a master's degree in public administration, business administration, or a related field is preferred.
- A collaborative, team-oriented leadership style with knowledge of and practice in modern management concepts, principles, strategies, practices, and techniques.
- Strong administrative skills to assist in the day-to-day operations of the Public Works department including project planning, human resources, risk management, contract management and service integration.
- A self-starter who can readily assess and develop strategies for dealing with complex problems with well developed interpersonal and oral/written communication skills.