Community Service Officer
Due to the anticipated response, only applicants with experience and skills most closely aligning with the position requirements may be contacted to continue in the screening process.
The Village of Gurnee Police Department seeks candidates for the position of CSO. As a valued member of the Gurnee Police Department, the primary responsibilities of a CSO include but are not limited to: responding to non-criminal public nuisance complaints; animal control and complaints; running administrative errands within the Police Department and for other Village departments; handling vehicle lockouts; providing traffic control services, police vehicle escorts and courtesy patrols; parking enforcement; taking reports of minor thefts such as bicycle thefts and private property accidents; performing residential security checks; and other public service related job tasks.
Starting hourly rate of pay: $26.65 / hour plus full benefits
We are looking for candidates with the following key qualities to join our team:
- Communication skills, interpersonal skills and other characteristics that reflect a service orientation and desire to treat the public with tact, courtesy, and respect;
- Ability to quickly learn operations and procedures;
- Ability to make accurate and quick decisions in real-time work situations;
- Remain calm under conditions that are stressful; and
- Use sound judgment and act decisively in emergency and non-emergency situations.
Minimum Requirements include:
- US citizen / naturalized citizen status;
- HS Diploma / GED;
- Valid drivers license and safe driving history
- At least 1 year comparable work experience in customer service, security, or related field;
- Ability to meet work schedule requirements which include varying hours, rotating days on / off and scheduled hours on holidays, weekends, daytime, and evenings. Must be able to work overtime;
- Ability to work in a computerized environment along with basic proficiency using word, spreadsheet, and database programs; and
- Ability to meet moderate physical demands – work is primarily performed in an outdoor environment that includes work in all weather conditions; a variety of terrains; varying noise levels; and to sit, climb, drive, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, reach, walk, run, stand, push, pull, lift, carry, hear / listen, and see / observe. Uses personal protective equipment to prevent exposure to hazardous situations. Work is also performed in an office environment.
Additional desirable qualifications:
- Bilingual skills
Benefits: paid time off – vacation, holiday, personal time; paid sick leave and sick leave incentive programs; health / dental / vision / life insurance plans; retirement savings options (pension, 457, Roth IRA); tuition reimbursement; uniform allowance; annual voluntary fitness bonus.
No residency or living radius requirement
Visible tattoos permitted within department policy parameters
Offer of employment is contingent on passing a post-offer background, medical examination and drug screen.