Entry Level Police Officer 2019
Applicants must meet the following minimum requirements and qualifications:
- United States citizen or Naturalized citizen.
- Minimum 20 years of age and less than 35 years of age as of date of written examination (September 22, 2019) unless otherwise exempt. Military Veterans may exceed the maximum age by the number of years served on active military duty but by no more than 10 years of active military duty service. Applicants must have reached their 21st birthday by date of hire.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent thereof.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Illinois Peace Officer Wellness Evaluation Report (POWER) Identification card with a date of issue between the 1 year period of September 1, 2018 to September 4, 2019. Applicants must complete POWER Test prior to submitting the application; the cost of the POWER test is the responsibility of the applicant. The POWER test is offered at the following local agencies - candidates should register early as dates / times may be limited:
Joliet Junior College: http://www.jjc.edu/fitness-center/Pages/power-testing.aspx
Triton College: http://www.triton.edu/power/
Other Qualifications (must meet a minimum of one of the following; see application packet for further details):
- Completion of 60 hours of college credit at time of application; OR
- Previous experience as a full time sworn, certified law enforcement officer; OR
- Two (2) years active duty United States military experience.
Each phase of the process is pass / fail and required to proceed to the next.
- Brief orientation and multiple choice written examination [begins promptly at 9:00 a.m. Sunday September 22, 2019]
- Essay examination [Sunday September 22, 2019 for candidates passing multiple choice examination]
- Oral Interview with Civil Service Commission – applicants will be contacted with specific date / time information [anticipated October / November 2019]
- Preliminary background check
- Post-offer examinations including but not limited to:polygraph examination; psychological evaluation; character and background investigation; medical examination; vision screening; and drug screening
See application packet.
Download attached Application Packet [click on 'Download PDF' tab below]. Return completed Application Packet and required materials in person or by mail to: Gurnee Police Station, 100 N. O’Plaine Road, Gurnee, IL 60031; mailed applications must be postmarked by application deadline. Faxed / emailed applications not accepted. Incomplete applications will be rejected. Application deadline is 3:00 p.m. Wednesday, September 4, 2019.