Firefighter / Paramedic Eligibility List Testing (March 2023)
Click Here to Apply
The Gurnee Fire Department is currently building an eligibility list for the position of Firefighter / Paramedic. Immediate vacancies to be filled from the new list.
Minimum Requirements and Qualifications:
- Minimum age 21 years and maximum age of 34 years (unless otherwise exempt per state statute).
- State of Illinois Basic Operations Fire Fighter (Fire Fighter II) certification.
- Minimally a Paramedic Student in good standing or EMT-P. If a Paramedic Student, must obtain IDPH EMT-P licensure within 6 months of hire.
- Valid driver's license.
- Candidate Physical Ability Test [CPAT] certificate with Ladder Climb dated between October 1, 2021 and April 1, 2023. The cost of the CPAT is the responsibility of the applicant.
- Successfully pass the FireTeam examination.
- United States citizen or naturalized citizen.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent thereof.
Anticipated Starting Salary (as of May 1, 2023): $80,336 annual base salary plus overtime
Benefits: 6 scheduled Kelly Days (every 18th duty day); additional paid time off (vacation, Kelly float); paid sick leave and sick leave incentive program; health / dental / vision / life insurance plans; retirement savings options (pension, 457, Roth IRA); tuition reimbursement; retirement health savings plan participation; additional supplement benefits.
Visible tattoos permitted within department policy parameters [no head, face, neck, hand/finger tattoos]
No residency or living radius requirement.
Selection Process - each phase of the process is pass / fail and required to proceed to the next.
Application & Required Documents: Complete the Gurnee Fire Department Employment Application (apply link above) no later than April 5, 2023.
Examination: FireTeam National Exam – complete no later than April 5, 2023; applicants must self-schedule – click FireTeam link - select ‘Find Jobs’ then select Firefighter Jobs and sign up for the Gurnee Fire Department. All testing costs are the responsibility of the candidate.
Oral Interview with Civil Service Commission – eligible candidates will be contacted to schedule an interview. Interviews are anticipated to be held in April / May 2023.
Preference points - maximum of 10 points:
Veterans’ Points / Military Service with an Honorable Discharge: 5 points
Education Points: up to 5 points:
- Associates Degree (fire service or emergency medical services):2.5 points
- Bachelors Degree (any curriculum):an additional 2.5 points (5 points total)
Final Eligibility list candidates receiving an offer of employment must successfully pass post-offer screenings including but not limited to a polygraph examination; background investigation; psychological examination; and medical examination, including vision and drug screen.
Completion of the FireTeam examination and / or Gurnee Firefighter / Paramedic Employment Application is not a guarantee of eligibility to continue in the testing process. Candidates may be disqualified after completion of the test or submission of application for reasons including but not limited to: failure to complete testing / application submission by required deadline; not meeting minimum position qualifications; not meeting minimum passing standards for the examination; missing or incomplete documents; or other disqualifying factors related to Firefighter / Paramedic candidacy or employment.