• Apr 26, 2018, 13:56 PM

Village Renews Electric Aggregation Contract with MC Squared

Following the passage of a 2012 voter referendum, the Village of Gurnee contracted to procure lower-cost electric supply for residents and small businesses. The Village has just renewed the program with MC Squared Energy Services again winning the competitive bid process. The rate of 7.38¢ per kWh is fixed for a 12-month term ending July 2019.

There is no enrollment fee to join, and no early termination fee to leave the program.

ComEd supply rate, annualized for summer and winter terms:


7.70¢ per kWh

Gurnee program rate with MC Squared, fixed for entire term:


7.38¢ per kWh

All residents and small business owners will receive a notice mailed in May. Two different notices will be sent. Please note:

  • Ratepayers receiving the opt out notice will be automatically enrolled at the rate of 7.38¢ unless they take action to opt out.
  • Ratepayers receiving the informative, opt in notice will not be automatically enrolled because they:
    • have previously switched to another Supplier in a private contract; or
    • participate in ComEd’s hourly-rate program (RRTP)

Those ratepayers who receive the informative, opt in notice may enroll by calling MC Squared at 855-564-8130 and requesting the Gurnee rate of 7.38¢ per kWh OR by going to (entering promo code Gurnee) or by calling 855-564-8130, Mon-Fri, 8a-5p. For additional information, email MC Squared at

Please note: No one will ever come to your home or call to enroll you in the Village’s program. Should you receive such a call from a person purporting to represent the Village, MC Squared, or ComEd, please take the solicitor’s information and contact the Illinois Commerce Commission at their Consumer Services Division complaint line: 800-524-0795.

  1. How can I enroll?

    During the initial three-week opt out period, you need do nothing if you received a notice at your ComEd billing address; you will automatically be enrolled unless you opt out. After the initial opt out period, a ratepayer may enroll by calling MC Squared at 855-564-8130 and asking for the Gurnee rate of 7.38¢.

  2. What is an eligible resident or small commercial account?

    Any resident who is currently with ComEd and has not already switched to an Alternative Retail Electric Supplier (ARES) or who is not enrolled in a special Residential Real-Time Pricing (RRTP) program is eligible, and small commercial accounts are eligible. You must also have a residence or business located within the Village limits.

  3. What is a “small commercial account?”

    A small commercial account is a commercial account that consumes less than 15,000 kWh per year.

  4. How can Gurnee get lower rates than ComEd?

    The State of Illinois deregulated energy markets over 15 years ago. What is commonly referred to as the “ComEd rate” is actually a default rate, which is no longer established by ComEd, but by the Illinois Power Agency, which procures energy in the open markets.

  5. What is the current “ComEd default rate?”

    The effective annualized ComEd rate for June 2018 through May 2019 is 7.7¢ per kWh and includes a variable charge or credit, the Purchase Electricity Adjustment (PEA). For more information, visit

  6. Will I receive two bills, one from ComEd and another from the new supplier?

    No. ComEd will continue to bill you for electric supply, delivery and taxes. ComEd delivers electricity, and will continue to bill you for that, but they no longer supply it. They will pass along the fees you pay for the supply of your energy to the new supplier.

  7. Whom do I call if I have service problems?

    Always call ComEd with reports of outages or downed power lines at 800-334-7661. For questions about your supply, you can call the customer service number for MC Squared. This will be listed under “Electric Supply Services” on your ComEd bill.

  8. If I am automatically enrolled in the program now, can I leave the program at any time?

    Yes, you can later leave the program and move your account back to ComEd or another Supplier. There is no early termination fee to leave.

  9. What is ComEd’s 6-month “hold” requirement?

    Please note State Regulations: If you move from the program back to ComEd for longer than two months, your account is placed in a “bundled hold” status, and you may not return to the Gurnee program until a full six months has passed.

  10. I am enrolled in low-income assistance program. Will that be affected?

    No. If you currently receive assistance via PIPP or LIHEAP, that status will not change and you can continue to get these benefits for your ComEd bill.

  11. I’m on ComEd’s budget billing plan. Will that change?

    No, you can stay on the budget billing plan.

  12. Can I still have my payment automatically deduced from my checking account as I do now?

    Yes. The way you pay your ComEd bill will not change.

  13. Will someone come to my home or call to sign me up?

    No. You need do nothing to automatically be enrolled in the program. If someone calls or visits your home claiming to be the Village’s power supplier, please file a complaint with the ICC at

  14. How is the Village able to get competitive rates compared to the ComEd rate?

    By combining the purchasing power of all residents and small commercial accounts, the Village of Gurnee was able to negotiate rates lower than residents can typically achieve when switching individually to a new supplier. The Village combined the purchasing power of resident accounts to negotiate a favorable rate.

  15. Is my electric supply at greater risk now that deregulation has opened markets to many new suppliers?

    No. By law, ComEd remains the Provider of Last Resort (POLR), so if there is an issue with securing electric supply, ComEd will be required to deliver it, regardless.

  16. Does the energy supply renewable “green” energy sources? Yes. 14.5% of your energy consumption is sourced from renewable generation such as solar and wind and may be represented through the purchase of Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs).

The Illinois Commerce Commission offers more information about energy deregulation in Illinois and energy supply choices at

For questions about your electric account, do not call Village Hall; call Gurnee’s aggregation program supplier: MC Squared Energy Services, LLC at 855-564-8130, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

If you require additional assistance, call NIMEC at 800-856-3404 to leave your question and callback number. You will be contacted within 24 hours regarding the issue.

To report an electrical outage, or for questions pertaining to your ComEd bill, call ComEd at 800-334-7661.