Food Scraps Composting Program
Residents have the option to co-mingle their food scraps with their landscape waste.
Residents who purchase a season landscape waste subscription or landscape waste stickers will be able to combine their food items such as kitchen scraps, expired fruits and vegetables and other organic materials with their lawn clippings and other landscape waste materials.
1. Collect scraps in your kitchen collector. Do not use plastic or biodegradable bags to line your collector.
2. Empty foods scraps into your rigid landscape waste container.
3. Set Out your rigid container (no Kraft bags) at the curb on regular garbage collection day.
All landscape waste collected through the program will be brought to Midwest Organics in order to create commercial compost.
Benefits of Composting
- Reducing environmental footprint
- The need for chemical fertilizer decreases
- Reduces the amount of waste contributed to landfills
- Great for plants, lawns and gardens
- Conserves energy and water
Informational Video on Lake County Composting
Why Food Scrap? What Can be Composted?
Waste Management's current rates for landscaping are available here.