As of Thursday February 16th, the National Weather Service's Winter Storm Warning remains in effect for Gurnee as well as the surrounding area from 6am until 9pm tonight. Expected weather conditions include:
- Heavy snow and mixed precipitation expected.
- Total snow accumulations of 4 to 7 inches and ice accumulations
of up to one tenth of an inch.
- Winds gusting as high as 40 mph expected. leading to blowing snow in exposed locations.
Impacts and Preparedness Actions:
- Plan on slippery road conditions. Areas of blowing snow could significantly reduce visibility. The hazardous conditions will likely impact the afternoon commute.
With the expected snow, help the Gurnee Public Works Department help you by keeping in mind the following:
- Residents and businesses are encouraged to clear driveway aprons, sidewalks and mailboxes by placing the snow onto your property or the adjacent parkway.
- Right-of-Way Items – Please remove portable basketball hoops, benches and decor from the street right-of-way.
- Hydrants – Clear the snow and ice three feet around all sides of hydrants to provide access. This simple step could save lives.
- Street Parking – After 2 inches of snow, please park your vehicle off of the street so plows can effectively and safely remove snow.
- In addition, shoveling, blowing or plowing snow into the street creates hazardous driving conditions, negates the effort of our snowplowing operations and is prohibited by law.