The Environmental Sustainability Committee has created the Green Gurnee Awards to spotlight businesses and organizations committed to creating a more sustainable Gurnee. The distinguished Green Gurnee award will encourage other business owners and organizations to evaluate and modify their own business practices while notifying the public of their goal to reduce their carbon footprint.
To apply, establishments must be performing environmentally sustainable practices in the following areas: waste reduction, energy and water conservation, pollution reduction and commitment to the community. As a base requirement, business must be a participant in the Waste Management's free recycling program for businesses. After meeting that minimum requirement, the businesses is eligible for either a Gold, Silver or Bronze Award. Tiers for the awards are as follows:
- Bronze: 20-25 points
- Silver: 25-34 points
- Gold: 35+ points
- A certificate of excellence made out to your business with the Mayor’s Signature
- A bronze color window decal displaying recognizing the achievement.
- Their logo on the Environmental Sustainability page on the Village website.
All of the above plus
- A silver color window decal displaying the achievement
- A notification of the designation in the Village of Gurnee Weekly Announcements and social media accounts.
All of the above plus:
- A gold color window decal displaying the achievement
- An invitation to be featured on 102.3 XLC morning radio show
- An automatic entry into the “Best of Gurnee” award.
Reducing Gurnee’s carbon footprint is the main objective of the Environmental Sustainability Committee. The Committee would like to recognize organizations in Gurnee that take the lead with environmental best practices. The voluntary and free program brings awareness to establishments implementing environmentally sustainable business practices.
For more information and to submit an award nomination, please go to gurnee.il.us/greengurnee.