Community Development Applications & Permits
Some of the permits below may have an associated fee. Please check the Fee Schedule for a comprehensive listing of all fees.
There are two primary forms of Building Permit Applications:
- Long-form (for major construction projects, including new buildings, additions, and garages)
- Short-Form (for everything else, including air conditioners, fences, and bathroom/kitchen remodels)
Make sure to read the Construction Document Submittal Info before submitting your building permit applications.
Additionally, you can complete some permits online by visiting our OneStop Online Permitting Application
- Air Conditioner
- Basement Finishes
- Bath Remodel
- Certificate of Occupancy (CO)
- Building Demolition
- Doors (Exterior)
- Garage (Detached)
- Hot Tubs
- Kitchen Remodel
- Lawn Irrigation Systems
- Occupancy Only (Move-in)
- Swimming Pools
- Water Heater
- Clearing & Grading
- Driveway / Parking Pad
- Sign - Ground
- Sign - Wall
- Sign - Temporary
- Temporary Use Permit Application
- Solar Panel Installation
Copy of proposal
Include layout of entire basement showing location of stairs, existing windows, furnace and mechanicals, location of electrical (show outlets and switches, supplies and returns for HVAC, and any new walls and doors, and plumbing.)
Layout of bath existing and proposed. Include layout of entire bath showing location of electrical outlets and switches, toilets, sink and shower/tub.
Include a list of all pertinent contractors.
Two (2) sets of complete plans (include riser and railing details)
Include copy of Plat of Survey. Draw in placement of deck or patio with dimensions.
Sign and submit deck requirements sheet.
Include a plan that shows deck construction.Review Deck-Patio Requirements.
Deck Patio Requirements
Include a copy of Plat of Survey. Indicate where the gazebo is to be located.
If gazebo is detached, submit a drawing showing foundation, framing, etc. If gazebo is attached (even by a deck), Illinois Architecture stamped plans must be submitted depicting construction.
Detached Accessory Requirements
Copy of Plat of Survey, showing placement of generator.
Proposal from contractor.
Layout of kitchen existing and proposed. Include layout of entire kitchen showing location of electrical outlets and switches.
Include a list of all pertinent contractors and proposals.Two (2) sets of complete plans.
Provide a layout of space.Gurnee Mills tenants also need copy of lease and location map.
Include a copy of the proposal from the contractor.NOTE: Not more than one layer of asphalt or fiberglass shingles shall be applied over an existing asphalt or fiberglass shingle roof; asphalt or fiberglass shingles shall not be applied over existing wood shingles or shakes. No second layer of wood shingles or shakes is permitted. Asbestos – cement shingles are prohibited.
Provide a copy of the contract.Provide a copy of Plat of Survey showing proposed width and length.
Download the Application
2. Include pertinent contractors. Verify electrician is registered with the Village.
3. Submit two sets of plans, diagram of electrical installation, letter acknowledging smoke/CO detector requirement to be met (see attached), provide signed and sealed letter by Illinois architect or structural engineering certifying that the roof structure has been evaluated.
Solar Panel Requirements
- Consolidation of Parcels
- Driveway Permit (Right-of-Way Permit)
- Lawn Sprinkling System
- Sewer or Water Service Connection Application
- Tree Permit Application
- Utility Connection
- Watershed Development Permit Application
Download Right of Way Permit
Planning and Zoning Applications
- Special Use Permit
- Escrow Agreement
- Informal Review
- Natural Resource Information Report Request (NRI)
- Personal Wireless Appearance Review
- Planned Unit Development (PUD)—Preliminary or Final Plan
- Minor Modification—PUD or Special Use Permit
- Administrative Modification—PUD or Special Use Permit
- Minor Sign Exception Permit
- Master Sign Plan
- Site Plan Review
- Subdivision Plat
- Temporary Use Permit
- Zoning Map Amendment (Rezoning)
- Zoning Text Amendment
Special Use Permit
Annexation Application & Checklist
Informal Review Application
Natural Resource Information Report Request (NRI)
Personal Wireless Appearance Review Application
Planned Unit Development (PUD)—Preliminary or Final Plan (PDF)
Minor Modification—PUD or Special Use Permit
Administrative Modification—PUD or Special Use Permit
Minor Sign Exception Permit Application
Master Sign Plan Application
Subdivision Plat Application
Temporary Use Permit
Zoning Map Amendment (Rezoning)
Zoning Ordinance Text Amendment