Solar Energy in Gurnee
The Village of Gurnee is participating in the SolSmart program, which helps local governments reduce barriers to solar energy growth and make it easier for homes and businesses to go solar. As part of the Greenest Region Compact, Gurnee is committed to improving the process for solar applicants.
- Submit a building permit application (short-form).
- Include pertinent contractors. Verify electrician is registered with the Village.
- Submit two sets of plans, diagram of electrical installation, letter acknowledging smoke/CO detector requirement to be met (see attached), provide signed and sealed letter by Illinois architect or structural engineering certifying that the roof structure has been evaluated.
Consumer Protection and Resources
Resources for residents and businesses interested in installing solar:
- Is Solar Right for You?
- Interstate Renewable Energy Council
- Apply Now and Become SolSmart!
- ComEd Solar Energy Information
- Solar America Board for Codes and Standards
- Solar Customer Resource Portal
- Solar Energy Industries Association - Solar Customer Resource Portal
- Solar Energy Industries Association - Consumer Protection Industry Resource Portal
- Illinois Solar Energy Association Consumer Protection Business Code of Conduct
- Solar Energy Industries Association - Guide to Land Leases for Solar
- The Solar Foundation - Leasing Municipal & Private Property for Solar: Key Steps & Considerations
- Solar Energy Rights
- Grow Solar - Local Government Solar Toolkit
Find out your solar potential using these tools:
- Project Sunroof
- Project Sunroof - Search by address
- Lake County Maps Online (then open base map gallery and go to solar potential map)
Find an Installer
Verify that you are using a certified, trusted installer:
- Illinois Commerce Commission Distributed Generation Installer
- Illinois Solar Energy Association List of Installers
- NABCEP Certified Professional Finder