Responsible Pet Ownership

Have a question, comment, or complaint? If so, please leave us a comment. We look forward to hearing from you.

What regulations apply to pet owners?

According to the Gurnee Municipal Code, it is unlawful for any person to allow a dog, cat, or other animal to be on another's property unless such person has in their possession a device for the removal of animal excrement.

It is unlawful for any person to allow a dog, cat, or other animal to be on another's property and fail to remove excrement left by the animal. It is also unlawful for dog owners to allow pets to run at large within the Village. Any dog found upon any public street, sidewalk, alley, parkway, or any unenclosed place may be deemed running at large unless such dog is held on a leash or is in an enclosed vehicle.

Violators may be subject to a fine of ranging from $25 to $100 for each offense.

What can be done about barking dogs?

If your attempts to contact the owner are unsuccessful, the Police Department will investigate the complaint. The department will issue a written warning and subsequent citations for repeat offenders, but only if the dog is barking when the officer arrives.

Where are animals impounded?

The Lake County Animal Warden has a facility in Wauconda where impounded animals are taken. Before contacting the animal warden you can call the Police Department at (847) 599-7000 to see if your animal has been picked up.

What about wild animals?

Parents should teach their children to respect and keep away from wildlife, rather than expect to have the wildlife removed from their area. It is advisable to "animal-proof" property by capping chimneys, covering window wells and using trash cans with tight fitting lids. Also, animal babies are seldom abandoned. If discovered, it is best to leave such wildlife untouched.