Employment with the Village of Gurnee
The Village of Gurnee is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local laws regarding employment. The Village encourages qualified candidates who share our commitment to diversity and non-discrimination to apply for available positions.
Applicants for employment can view the FMLA poster here.
Applications are accepted only in response to posted vacancies. If there is a position you would like to apply for, please review the job advertisement and follow the application instructions. Please note during high volume recruitments, Village staff may contact only candidates under consideration for a position. Questions? Email the Human Resources Department.
2019 Firefighter / Paramedic Eligibility List Testing
Applicants must meet the following minimum requirements at the time of application and hire:
- United States citizen or naturalized citizen.
- Must be at least 21 years old and maximum age of 34 years (unless otherwise exempt under 65 ILCS 5/10-1-7.1).
- Graduation from high school or equivalent thereof.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Currently certified as a Basic Operations Fire Fighter or Fire Fighter II under the State of Illinois, Division of Personnel Standards and Education; and
- Minimally a Provisional Paramedic in good standing in the State of Illinois, pursuant to applicable statutes and regulations at the time of application or EMT-P. If a Provisional Paramedic at the time a conditional offer of employment is extended, must obtain State of Illinois EMT-P licensure prior to completion of the post-offer background investigation.
- Applicants must provide a Candidate Physical Ability Test [CPAT] certificate with Ladder Climb dated within 12 months prior to April 3, 2019 [eligible dates April 1, 2018 to April 3, 2019].
- Written examination [Thursday, April 11, 2019 at 10:00 a.m.]
- Oral Interview with Civil Service Commission – eligible applicants will be contacted with specific date / time information [tentative dates April 23-25 and/or April 30-May 2]
- Initial eligibility register established
- Preference points:maximum of 10 points:
- Veterans’ Points / Military Service with an Honorable Discharge:five (5) points
- Education Points:up to five (5) points:
- Associates Degree (any curriculum):2.5 points
- Bachelors Degree (any curriculum):an additional 2.5 points (5 points total)
- Final Eligibility Register
Eligibility list candidates receiving a conditional offer of employment must successfully pass a polygraph examination; character and background check; psychological examination; and medical examination, including vision and drug screen. All appointments are subject to a probationary period.
Return completed Application Packet (click on 'download pdf' tab below) and required materials in person to:
Gurnee Fire Department, Station 1
4580 Old Grand Avenue, Gurnee, IL 60031
Application deadline is 3:00 p.m., Wednesday, April 3, 2019
No faxed, emailed, or mailed applications accepted.