2019 Firefighter / Paramedic Eligibility List Testing
Applicants must meet the following minimum requirements at the time of application and hire:
- United States citizen or naturalized citizen.
- Must be at least 21 years old and maximum age of 34 years (unless otherwise exempt under 65 ILCS 5/10-1-7.1).
- Graduation from high school or equivalent thereof.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Currently certified as a Basic Operations Fire Fighter or Fire Fighter II under the State of Illinois, Division of Personnel Standards and Education; and
- Minimally a Provisional Paramedic in good standing in the State of Illinois, pursuant to applicable statutes and regulations at the time of application or EMT-P. If a Provisional Paramedic at the time a conditional offer of employment is extended, must obtain State of Illinois EMT-P licensure prior to completion of the post-offer background investigation.
- Applicants must provide a Candidate Physical Ability Test [CPAT] certificate with Ladder Climb dated within 12 months prior to April 3, 2019 [eligible dates April 1, 2018 to April 3, 2019].
- Written examination [Thursday, April 11, 2019 at 10:00 a.m.]
- Oral Interview with Civil Service Commission – eligible applicants will be contacted with specific date / time information [tentative dates April 23-25 and/or April 30-May 2]
- Initial eligibility register established
- Preference points:maximum of 10 points:
- Veterans’ Points / Military Service with an Honorable Discharge:five (5) points
- Education Points:up to five (5) points:
- Associates Degree (any curriculum):2.5 points
- Bachelors Degree (any curriculum):an additional 2.5 points (5 points total)
- Final Eligibility Register
Eligibility list candidates receiving a conditional offer of employment must successfully pass a polygraph examination; character and background check; psychological examination; and medical examination, including vision and drug screen. All appointments are subject to a probationary period.
Return completed Application Packet (click on 'download pdf' tab below) and required materials in person to:
Gurnee Fire Department, Station 1
4580 Old Grand Avenue, Gurnee, IL 60031
Application deadline is 3:00 p.m., Wednesday, April 3, 2019
No faxed, emailed, or mailed applications accepted.