Village Board - Trustee Karen Thorstenson
Term Ends April 30, 2021
Village Trustee Karen Thorstenson has lived in Gurnee for over 25 years. During that time, she has raised two children with her Husband, Kris, and has sent them through the Woodland / Warren School Districts. Over the years she has held a variety of volunteer participation and leadership roles. These roles include:
- St Paul the Apostle Catechist - 1995 - 2013
- Steeple Pointe Homeowners Association Board Member - 2000 - 2003
- Warren Township Assisting Youth Volunteer Coordinator - 1999 - 2007
- Gurnee Youth Baseball Board Secretary - 1999 - 2002
- Gurnee Park District Strategic Planning Committee, Pool Advisory Committee - 1998 - 2001
- WTHS Strategic Planning Committee, Athletic Committee - 2004 - 2007
- Village of Gurnee Economic Development Committee - 2012 - Present
- Village of Gurnee Planning and Zoning Board - 2015
- Gurnee Days Committee Member - Since 1999
- JDRF Diabetes Walk Committee Member, Food Tent Chairperson - Since 2001
In Her Own Words
When asked what motivated her to become involved in municipal government, Karen responded, “As a long-time community volunteer and activist, I have learned the value of resident involvement. In the Trustee role, I would strive to further the economic and fiscal strength built by the former Mayor Richard Welton and cultivated by the current Mayor and administration."
Karen was also asked of her career background, and responded, “In my career, I have held several project management roles in the Financial Services sector teaching me effective listening and collaboration skills. In my current role, I oversee Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery. As a result, I am most interested in progressing the exceptional village police, fire and emergency services, and ensuring these essential services can be maintained as a top priority."