Senior Water Discount Program

Effective 5/1/2023

The Senior Water Discount Program entitles eligible seniors to a discounted rate on the first 7,000 gallons of water used during a two-month billing period.

To be eligible for the water usage discount you must meet the following criteria:

  1. You must be approved for the Lake County Assessor’s Senior Homestead Exemption on your property tax bill, which requires you to…
    1. be 65 years of age or older
    2. be the owner of a residential unit
    3. occupy the residential unit as your principal place of residence
  2. have a separate water meter (not billed to HOA)

The Village receives a list of properties receiving the Senior Homestead Exemption from Lake County and has a record of separately billed meters in our utility billing system.  If our records show you meet all the above criteria, you will be automatically enrolled in the Senior Water Discount Program.  There is no application or further action needed by you.

Frequently Asked Questions:

When will the discount go into effect?

The credit will apply to bills that include usage after May 1, 2023

  • How do I know if I received the discount?
    • You will see a separate line on your bill labeled “SENIOR WATER DISCOUNT”
  • How much is the discount?
    • If you qualify, you will receive the first 7,000 gallons on your bi-monthly water bill at a discounted rate.  The current water rate is $5.34 per tgal, the discounted rate is $1.80 per tgal or a discount of approximately 65% per tgal
  • I am close to turning 65 - how do I sign up for the senior discount?
    • You will need to apply for the Senior Homestead Exemption on your Lake County property taxes after you turn 65. Your senior water discount will only be effective after you have been approved for the senior homestead exemption
  • What if I recently applied for the Senior Homestead Exception and I do not see the discount on my Village water bill?
    • If you have recently applied for the senior homestead exemption, please contact the Village with a copy of your approval notice