2020 Emergency Communications Operator
We are looking for candidates with the following key qualities to join our team:
- ability to quickly learn the operation of equipment and system procedures;
- ability to make rapid and precise judgments in a real-time work situations;
- remain calm under conditions that are stressful;
- coordinate many different processes at once and coordinate actions in relation to the actions taken by others;
- adjust rapidly to changes in the tempo of work activity;
- use sound judgment and act decisively in emergency situations;
- ability to communicate effectively (rapidly, clearly, and distinctly) orally and in writing; and
- interpersonal skills and characteristics that reflect a service orientation and desire to treat the public with tact, courtesy, and respect.
Additional desirable qualifications include any or all of the following:
- Bilingual skills;
- Previous emergency dispatch experience in police and/or Fire/EMS;
- Formal education, certification, or completion of a college level training program in emergency dispatch
Other general requirements include:
- US citizen / legal work authorization;
- HS Diploma / GED;
- Ability to accurately type at least 30 wpm;
- Ability to obtain and maintain LEADS full access; and
- Ability to obtain Emergency Medical Dispatch (EMD) certification prior to concluding the Communications Operator training program as a condition of continued employment.
Interested candidates are encouraged to participate in a ride-along with Police Officers and/or participate in an observation / sit-in in the Communications Center. To schedule a ride-along or observation, please contact the Police Department at 847-599-7000.
Download application packet below; open until filled.
As of May 1, 2019, starting rate of pay is $27.67 / hour. Candidates with equivalent emergency dispatch experience may be eligible for an accelerated wage rate based on experience.