Senior Planner - Community Development
Education/Experience: This position requires a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Urban Planning, Business, Public Administration or a related field. A minimum of (3) years of experience in urban planning is required. Must be familiar with GIS software used in planning and development work. A valid Driver’s License is required. A Master’s degree or AICP is highly preferred, but not required.
The Salary range: This position starts at $86,003 - $103,508 + DOQ, plus a generous benefit package including health, dental, and vision benefits, employer-paid life insurance and other ancillary benefit options. Retirement benefits through the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF) are provided along with the option to participate in a 457(b) deferred compensation plan. The Village of Gurnee also provides paid vacation, personal, and sick days as well as paid Village Holidays. The Senior Planner position is an exempt, non-union position.
Work Schedule: Full- time position: 40 hours per week- The Village of Gurnee strongly believes in a work/life balance, our schedule is 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Attendance at night meetings is required.
The successful candidate will have an outstanding work ethic, positive attitude and be self-motivated. They must have strong organizational skills, the ability to work with a high degree of accuracy/attention to detail with multi-tasking skills.
Key Responsibilities: In this role, you will be responsible for professional planning and project management work related to land use and municipal development. You will have a variety of routine and complex assignments pertaining to the implementation of current and long range planning programs. Tasks will include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinates and implements the subdivision, planned unit development, and related current and long-range zoning processes, working closely with and advising the applicant, relevant Village staff, outside agencies, Planning and Zoning Board, and other relevant parties of the code requirements and procedures.
- Coordinates and implements the development review and approval process, including conducting pre-application meetings with all interested parties related to subdivisions, annexations, PUD's, impact fees, map and text amendments, and other significant development proposals and compiling comprehensive review comments.
- Reviews development and redevelopment proposals including subdivision, site plan, variance requests, plat, and other development documents; applies knowledge of site design, landscaping, transportation, lighting and other fields to the review process; conducts plan reviews and prepares detailed comments/reports.
- Acts as staff liaison to Planning and Zoning Board; develop and coordinate agenda packets for meetings, conduct research, and maintain compliance with posting notices.
- Maintains records and databases of demographic, land use, and related information for planning purposes.
- Assists Community Development Director and other Village staff in the interpretation and enforcement of applicable Village codes, development standards, design guidelines, and the comprehensive plan.
The Senior Planner can expect to work closely with the Planning Manager on ongoing redevelopment projects and new development projects. The Senior Planner should have knowledge and experience working with annexation agreements, PUD's and experience in negotiating the terms of such agreements. The Village is seeking candidates with experience in contract management and working with consultants on special projects.